When you have been best friends with someone 37 years you can not only finish their sentences but literally tell their life story. I could not let a birthday go by without mentioning some of funny things I remembered about my BFF today.
1. Christine used to walk down to my house when she was 4 and I was 3 asking my mother every 15 minutes when I would be home for preschool.
2. In Kindergarten, Christine’s teacher told her mother that Christine wouldn’t amount to much. I think they thought she was extremely delayed. She went on the graduate 8th grade, first in her class, 10th her Senior Year at Classical, amoung a class full of geniuses, and from Holy Cross and Yale Summa Cum Laude. I don’t believe Christine ever got any less that an A in anything.
3. She is a speed reader with a photographic memory. These two skills meant you never saw her studying much. Or maybe at all.
4. Until just recently if things were quiet and you were sitting next to her, you would hear some weird grunting noise. Turns out, she passed this trait on to her clone of a daughter.
5. She drinks the equivalent in ounces of coffee to her weight in pounds which hovers around 100. And by the way, if the scale creeps up to 105 everyone watch out! Christine’s gotta hit the gym and get on a program.
6. The gym! Anyone that knows her knows she doesn’t work out to socialize and thinks nothing of picking up 30 or 40lb weights in both hands to start a set of hard core walking lunges. She barely flinches when others are dropping like flies or vomiting (her husband) at crossfit. I was one of the few she could work out with and even I would say “Good God woman , can we find a more feminine workout routine?”
7. Christine broke her fingers as a kid and when she holds up her ring finger on her left hand, it’s so crooked it could make a grown man cry.
8. Christine and I worked many jobs together. We babysat the same families and shared a job at a Rectory for many years. We made a great team until she worked at a mouse lab in college. She did things to mice no one should ever speak of.
9. Christine has the keenest sense of smell. She can pinpoint smells from childhood or certain places with the skill of a bloodhound. For example , “Doesn’t that smell like a watermelon lollipop pen?”. Eyesight, that’s another story.
10. You know Christine loves you if she stays out past 9pm for you. I can count on one hand the times she has had more than two drinks in a night. Skipping the gym for you? Not gonna happen.
Happy Birthday to my loyal and sweet Best Friend! Hope we have 50 more birthdays together.